Perfectionism is a paralyzing quality. It limits your desires and prevents you from living your dreams. When you keep trying to be perfect, nothing gets done.
Here are some tips to help you overcome your perfectionism and move forward.:
1. Make sure you pay attention to your inner thoughts. Perfectionism can take over your thoughts and ruin your efforts. Listen to your positive aspect of self-talk.
Try not to worry about negative thoughts such as, “You’re not good enough,” or “It’s not like that! It’s Got to Be Perfect!”
Instead of negative thoughts, you can replace them with positive ones such as, “This looks great! You did great work there.”
2. Don't be so focused on perfection that you can't work through a schedule and meet deadlines. Instead, be diligent and meet the deadlines.
Be realistic about your standards.
Getting lost in the tiniest details of each assignment will hinder your ability to complete tasks on time.
Take action. Keep moving forward. Remember, you can improve if you need to, as you go along.
3. Forgive yourself and others for mistakes. Forgiveness is an excellent cure for perfectionism. Remind yourself that no one is perfect, and we all have some flaws. Understand that forgiveness comes with experiencing oneself or other's mistakes.
Beauty can be found in everything that is imperfect.
4. Don’t underestimate the power of second chances. Even if you don’t get something right the first time, you may still have the opportunity to do better later.
5. Celebrate tiny wins. Instead of focusing on what still needs to be done, focus on your successes. Each time you finish something, it’s a small victory. It’s important to celebrate your accomplishments - even small ones.
Feel free to celebrate and thank yourself. Do something special for yourself.
6. Don't panic when things go wrong. Perfectionists tend to blame themselves when things go wrong. You can take responsibility without getting overly upset by the fact that something went wrong.
Take steps to reframe the experience. Look for the positives in the experience, such as lessons the mistake has taught you.
You need to believe that failure is a part of the journey to success, and you need to keep trying.
It's better to learn from the mistake than spend days dwelling on it in your mind.
7. Make sure there is balance in your life. It is essential to strive for balance with your family, relationships, and career. Perfectionism can creep into many parts of your life.
Instead, find time to spend with friends, family, and coworkers. Do not get too caught up in just one aspect of your life. Keep it balanced.
Avoid neglecting essential things such as your hobbies, personal health, or children.
8. Learn to change how you think about life. Changing your thoughts can be a powerful way to reduce perfectionism and help you enjoy life. Think positively and find the good in everything.
Can you see the gray area? Do you suffer from a black and white perspective, or can you look at things on a spectrum?
Keeping your mind from becoming overly perfect will help you avoid perfectionist thinking. Realize that the world does not exist as a closed set of parts but a complex mix with many moving parts and your mind.
Keep your focus on success. Even a disappointment can be viewed as progress since it brings you closer to attaining it.
Perfectionism can be overcome. Check out these tips, and if you still need help, see a therapist. When you break free from perfection, success is closer.
© Copyright 2021. Actualization of Self Institute, LLC. & Denise R Dunkley. All rights reserved.